Here are some of the articles I have read most recently relating to computational archaeology.
- Teenager Uses Star Map To Discover Lost Mayan City In Central America:Satellite imaging and star positioning were used by a student to discover a lost Mayan city.
- Thanks To Cosmic Rays, We Finally Know What The Inside Of A Pyramid Looks Like: Cosmic rays used to map the internal structures of Egypt’s pyramids.
- Vietnam Maritime Archaeology Project – The final results: The blogged results of a Vietnamese maritime project that included 3D photogrammetry.
- 500-Year-Old Shipwreck Dating To The “Age of Discovery” Found Off The Coast Of Oman: a shipwreck dating from just five years after da Gama made this first voyage to the East was found. CT scans of rare coin found in the wreck were also made and are also included.
- Using new technologies to preserve ancient pasts: 3D scans of South African rock art created to preserve the heritage.
- Palmyra’s Arch of Triumph recreated in London: A scale model of the Arch of Triumph has been made from Egyptian marble using 3D technology, based on photographs of the original arch.
- “Lost City” To Be Excavated In Honduran Rainforest: LIDAR used to aerially discover a lost Honduran city.
- Humanoid Robot Dives on Seventeenth-Century Shipwreck: Humanoid robot with haptic controls allows pilots to immersively explore difficult to reach underwater sites.
- 3-D Technology Applied to Oldest-Known Trackway: Computer software aimed for analyzing crime-scene footprints was used to analyze 3-D images of 3.6 million-year-old footprints in Laetoli, Tanzania.
- 3-D Replicas of Ötzi the Iceman Made From CT Scans: CT scans used to create 3D printed replicas of the Ötzi the Iceman.
- CT scanning is revealing the hidden secrets of mummies, including sacred amulets and their last meals: a tweet showing some images of CT scans performed on mummies.
Summer schools (northern hemisphere) coming up
- Digital Curation of Archaeological Knowledge Summer School: Summer school in Athens, Greece from the 12 to 17 June 2016.
- Digital Humanities at Oxford Summer School 2016: Summer school from the 4 to the 8 July 2016.